Friday, April 1, 2011

"Chick'n" Noodle Casserole

I love the classics and you can't get much more classic then chicken noodle casserole! Back when I was a carnivore this was a family favorite and I have tried all vegetable (no meat substitute) variations that didn't work out so well. Tonight I decided to experiment with Morning Star's Meal Starters Chick'n Strips, leaving all other ingredients the same as in my original recipe.

What I Used
12 ounce package of No Yokes Extra Broad Egg Noodles
16 ounce package of Morning Star Meal Starters Chick'n Strips
3 cans of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 Cups of mixed, frozen vegetables
1 Medium onion, chopped and sauteed
1 Cup of mild cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 Cup of milk
1/2 Stick of butter, melted

How I Prepared It
Cook and drain the noodles and saute the onion
Cook and drain the vegetables
Combine all ingredients well in a large bowl
Pour into a casserole dish (2 quarts or more)
Cover with lid or tin foil
Bake at 375 degrees until hot and bubbly (about 30 minutes usually does it)

How It Turned Out? Well, it was a BIG hit! My 4-year-old - the extra picky one - devoured it and only left a few bites of veggies, which is to be expected. My husband ate all of his and said he'd have more but he was stuffed. My 2-year-old seemed to like it but her big lunch got in the way and she only ate a few bites. I had seconds. And I'll pay for that later in the gym.

Pro's: Fairly easy to prepare, definitely tasty, great texture. A balanced meal that makes for easy leftovers.
Con's: A little time consuming and if you're a calorie counter like me this casserole will not be a regular at your table. At 350 calories per one cup serving you might end up a little hungry after dinner.

How does it rate? 3 1/2 out of 4 Tomatoes. I would have given it all 4 if not for the high calories in the small serving size. Over all this casserole is a winner and definitely deserves a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment